Design Decision: IP addressing mechanism (near-term)¶
Background / Context¶
End-to-end encryption is a desirable potential design feature for the high availability support.
1. Via load balancer¶
- Standard technology in banks and on clouds, often for non-HA purposes.
- Intended to allow us to wait for completion of network map work.
- We do need to support multiple IP address advertisements in network map long term.
- Might involve small amount of code if we find Artemis doesn’t like the health probes. So far though testing of the Azure Load balancer doesn’t need this.
- Won’t work over very large data centre separations, but that doesn’t work for HA/DR either
2. Via IP list in Network Map¶
- More flexible
- More deployment options
- We will need it one day
- Have to write code to support it.
- Configuration more complicated and now the nodes are non-equivalent, so you can’t just copy the config to the backup.
- Artemis has round robin and automatic failover, so we may have to expose a vendor specific config flag in the network map.
Recommendation and justification¶
Proceed with Option 1: Via Load Balancer